U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mechanical Engineer in Kansas City, Missouri
About the Position: You will serve as a Mechanical Engineer with responsibility for preparation of engineering studies, analysis, preliminary and/or final designs including project specifications of major mechanical complexity for civil and military projects either alone or with the assistance of lower grade personnel. Adapts existing structures for multipurpose and specialized uses, frequently for which the original design was not intended containing combinations of unusual features. Typically are assigned projects of considerable difficulty, i.e., containing combinations of unusual features requiring significant departures from previous approaches to similar projects. In addition, serves as a technical advisor to lower grade engineers on complex design problems.
This announcement may close early due to the following conditions: 1.) Once 1,000 applicants have been received. 2.) Once all positions have been filled. 3.) If management directs that positions will no longer be filled.
Learn more about this agency
- Performs design and layout of plans for plumbing, fire protection systems, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration systems for military projects.
- Prepares drawings and specifications for private architect-engineer contracts and reviews contractor's designs.
- Evaluates design objectives, performs complex technical calculations, identifies most economical and efficient procedures for project design and performance.
- Considers all influences and prepares necessary drawings, specifications, and supporting documents for advertised or negotiated procurements.
- Prepares correspondence, technical reports, estimates, fact sheets, status reports, and schedules as required to complete project assignments.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0830 Mechanical Engineering
- Engineers, Mechanical
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Entry Requirement: Applicants must meet one of the following Basic Entry Requirements and provide supporting documentation for verification:
A. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. (Transcripts MUST be submitted with your application package)
B. Registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions. (Certificate of registration MUST be submitted with your application package.)
C. Successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Eligibility is limited to positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of the engineering technology program. (Certificate MUST be submitted with your application package.)
D. Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described in paragraph A above. (Transcripts MUST be submitted with your application package)
E. Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, architecture, computer science, mathematics, or electronics, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided you have at least one year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. (Transcripts MUST be submitted with your application package)
To qualify at the GS-11 grade level you must meet one of the following:
Experience: You must have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent in complexity to the GS-9 grade level performing the following duties: preparing engineering studies, analysis, preliminary and/or final designs including project specifications of major mechanical complexity for civil and military projects; determining the required capacities, load and pressure requirements, and safety factors to meet all functions requirements of mechanical equipment; and coordinating with other design team members in design development, ensuring all mechanical functions which overlap into other disciplines are properly coordinated in order to meet project schedule. OR
Education: You must have completed 3 years (54 semester hours) of graduate level education leading to a Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree in Mechanical Engineering. NOTE: You must submit transcripts to verify your level of education. OR
Combination: If you have some specialized experience as described above, but less than one year; and you have more than two years, but less than three years of graduate-level education. To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours above two years of graduate education by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify. NOTE: You must attach a copy of your transcripts for verification
To qualify at the GS-12 grade level:You must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in complexity to the GS-11 grade level that included: evaluating design objectives, performs complex technical calculations, identifies most economical and efficient procedures for project design and performance considering all influences and prepares necessary drawings, specifications, and supporting documents for advertised or negotiated procurements; performing design and layout of plans for plumbing, fire protection systems, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration systems for military projects; and preparing detailed cost estimates for use in obtaining project funding and bid evaluations.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a re-employed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. We will evaluate applications every 30 days from the opening date of this announcement. Scheduled Cut-off dates for resume pulls:
- June 1, 2018
- July 1, 2018
- August 1, 2018
- September 1, 2018
- October 1, 2018
- November 1, 2018
- December 1, 2018
- January 2, 2019
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- External Recruitment Military Spouse Preference
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category. * Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position. * Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position. * Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.* If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.*
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume. 2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/28/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Applyto access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10201627).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
If you submit an inquiry to the e-mail address listed in the Agency Contact Information below please identify the announcement number and/or location of the position in the subject line of the e-mail. This will expedite a response to your inquiry.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
GH-APF-W07105 US ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT, KANSAS CITY DO NOT MAIL Kansas City, MO 64106 US
Learn more about this agency
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498390900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 05/01/2018 to 12/28/2018
Salary: $61,605 to $95,991 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11 - 12
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent