The Boeing Company Assembly Mechanic - Quality Inspector in St. Louis, Missouri
Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) in St. Louis has openings for Assembly Mechanics – Quality Inspectors.
Assembly Mechanic encompasses all of the duties of the following job classifications: Inspector Assembly, Sub-Assembly Precision, Mechanic Aircraft Production, Mechanic Electrical and Radio, Sheet Metal Assembler and Riveter.
Individual job duties may include:
• Inspect supplier furnished and/or Boeing made parts, subassemblies and major assemblies, to specification requirements such as drawings, computer models, inspection procedures and catalogues.
• Inspect the time, temperature and results or effect of processes or operations such as pressure testing, weld, anodizing, covering, passivating, primer and paint.
• Inspect bench assembly of wire bundles, electrical components and electrical panels. Visually inspect wire bundles and other electrical and electronic components and units for proper installation in aircraft, powerplants and ground support equipment.
• Perform aircraft assembly line operational checkout and inspect the repair and adjustment of systems on aircraft.
• Maintain, operate and control Material Review Crib and Bond Room when and where assigned by supervision and controls nonconforming material to prevent unauthorized use in accordance with Quality Assurance Procedure. Review engineering dispositions for quality and compliance to established standard procedures and specifications.
• Use a variety of inspection aids, precision measuring instruments and electrical testing equipment. Operate automated and electronic equipment as directed in the performance of duties. Operate hardness testing equipment as required. Use a variety of hand and power tools and measuring instruments, such as magnifying glasses, pocket microscopes, scales, magnetic field indicators, gauges and testing equipment, including, digital caliper, conductivity meter, protractors, squares, fixed and variable gauging as required to accomplish assigned duties.
• Electronic data input or retrieval as required in the performance of their assigned duties. Prepare documents incidental to the accomplishment of inspection function. Maintain records, prepare and route documents incidental to the accomplishment of inspection assignment.
• Assemble precision assemblies, set up and operate ream fixtures to drill, ream, countersink, spot face, hone and bore for mating major assemblies.
• Setup and operate shot peen equipment and accessories for stress relieving assemblies as required.
• Install press fit bushings and force fit bushings. File, fit, hone, ream, drill, tap, saw, burr and adjust.
• Assemble a variety of production aircraft and spacecraft parts and install aircraft equipment, support equipment or power plant equipment.
• Install, operationally check out, adjust, rig and pressure check systems.
• Perform bench and assembly line operational check out, troubleshooting, repair and adjustment of electrical and electronic systems, lighting circuits, power plant systems, wing fold circuits, missile launch racks, aircraft instrumentation, provide flight test instrumentation, fire wiring system, fuel system.
• Assemble, install, check out physical characteristics and modify wire bundles to aircraft of aircraft mock ups.
• Bench assemble electrical or electronic components and conductors into electrical units and systems before methods and procedures have been established.
• Cut, identify, strip, tin, solder, attach components, and pot to prepare wire for assembly.
• Tie, seal, and pack assembled bundles and units.
• Install wire bundles or other electrical and electronic components in aircraft, power plants or ground support equipment. • Assemble aircraft and/or spacecraft structures or aircraft and/or spacecraft support equipment structures with or without the aid of jigs and fixtures by drilling, reaming, countersinking, stop countersinking, dimpling as assigned, burring, fastening, filing, filling, fitting, aligning, trimming, shimming and remove surface defects as assigned.
• Perform skilled assembly operations such as: shimming, fitting, trimming and aligning which may vary considerably from one assembly to another as with fairings and the mating of major assemblies; realigning or replacing ribs, bulkheads or stringers in skinned assemblies; establishing from blue-prints with or without firm callouts, butt, center, chord, station and water lines; blind pick up of hole locations for blank parts from existing structure; correcting cans, buckles, wrinkles in outer skins and remove surface defects as assigned.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
• Minimum 1 year assembly experience required.
• Minimum 1 year of experience with sheet metal assemblies, drilling, countersinking, riveting, and fastener installation
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
• Experience working as a Quality Inspector
• Aircraft assembly experience
• Currently hold or have held a security clearance in the past 24 months
The selected candidate must be able to work any shift, as assigned.
This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement. New Hires, as well as employees who transfer from non-union positions, may be required to attend some type of training upon their start. Once any required training has been completed all new employees will be considered on probation for a period of forty (40) working days. Continued employment is contingent upon successful completion of any required training and the probationary period.
Security Clearance and Export Control Requirements:
This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship. This position requires a post-start clearance.
This position is located in a location that does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Drug Free Workplace
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.