Washington University of St. Louis Business Development Director - Office of Technology Management - 49287 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Office of Technology Management. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
The Business Development Director is responsible for managing a portion of the University’s intellectual property portfolio with the mission of transferring it to commercial companies for the benefit of society. The BDD will be responsible for handling highly complex license agreements, a large portfolio of IP for the most active faculty and training and mentoring licensing associates and trainees. These responsibilities will be completed with minimal direction from the Associate Director. The BDD will be expected to direct high-profile initiatives for the benefit of the OTM and contribute toward outreach to potential and existing inventors. The BDD job is an advanced-level licensing position for the OTM.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage licensing associates in assigning tasks to invention disclosure assessment and reassessments and working with LAs on marketing activities, as well as providing training, mentoring and evaluation of Technology Transfer Trainees.
- Work with legal counsel to protect intellectual property either through patenting or other proper tactics for assigned portfolio. Work directly with OTM patent coordinator and internal legal counsel (OGC) on patent costs and filing tactics with outside patent law firms.
- Work with the marketing function to market top tier technologies.
- Negotiate key terms and execute complex license agreement with established companies and start-ups.
- Manage a large and complex portfolio of existing licenses with respect to technology development, milestones, and non-financial terms of the licensees.
- Direct high-profile initiatives as identified by OTM and outreach to faculty and other inventors. Communicate with and educate investigators, researchers and students, along with departments and schools in order to better understand the potential for inventions from the research done at WU.
- Advanced degree, MS or Ph.D., in the life/biological science, medicine, biomedical engineering, engineering, or physical sciences.
- At least seven years working experience in a university technology transfer office or in commercial development within the private sector.
- Experience in closing complex business transactions and licenses with large established companies and start-ups.
- Business experience in private industry or an MBA degree would be a plus.
- Demonstrated people-management skills.
- Ability to assess the potential for a nascent technology in the commercial arena.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills and be able to represent OTM inside and outside WU.
- Demonstrated ability to make appropriate decisions as it relates to technology transfer activities.
- Exceptional and demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service to internal and external clients.
- Excellent communication and people-management skills.
Base pay commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Business Development Director - Office of Technology Management - 49287
Job ID: 49287
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time