Washington University of St. Louis Clinical Laboratory Technician - Siteman Cancer Center - 47512 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally Monday through Friday and occasionally Saturday and Sunday for the on-call program.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Siteman Cancer Center. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Siteman Cancer Center is seeking an organized and motivated individual to join the Molecular Specimen Processing Group within the Tissue Procurement Core (TPC) shared resource laboratory. This position is responsible for a broad range of laboratory tasks needed to support cancer and other biomedical research studies. Duties include human tissue and fluid biospecimen processing to isolate nucleic acids (DNA/RNA), basic laboratory equipment use and maintenance, and support of general quality control functions needed for laboratory operations. A successful candidate will have experience working in a laboratory environment, strong clerical accuracy, exceptional organization and time-management skills, a solid understanding of basic computer applications, and should be motivated to join a fast-paced laboratory environment. Position requires ongoing interaction with faculty, trainees, and staff in the Siteman Cancer Center and Washington University School of Medicine.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Isolate nucleic acids from a variety of specimen sources (cells, tissue, bio-fluids) following Standard Operating Procedures relying on traditional solid-phase silica spin-column technology platforms or liquid phase extraction techniques.
- Provide cross coverage as needed for other job functions within the Molecular section to ensure continued laboratory operations.
- Perform data entry into biospecimen inventory management system to track specimen processing, creation, storage, retrieval, and distribution for cancer and other medical research projects.
- Assist with validation of new molecular techniques or equipment; including participation in protocol design and validation report generation in collaboration with laboratory management.
- Assist with the training of junior technicians on Molecular section standard operating procedures.
- Perform general use maintenance of equipment (e.g. centrifuge, freezers, etc.) and maintain complete and detailed records of execution.
- Monitor laboratory supplies to ensure consistent and adequate supply for laboratory activities, assisting with general supply orders.
- Participate in the On-Call program for monitoring storage equipment and environmental systems required for storage of biospecimens (non-business hours).
- Perform Quality Control and Quality Assurance functions for biorepository activities defined in the TPC Quality Management System. Activities include review, revision, and compliance with all laboratory Standard Operating Procedures and other controlled documents, incident reporting and investigation, implementation of Corrective and Preventative Action (CAPA), maintenance of training records, and compliance with all laboratory safety procedures.
Associate degree (MLT).
- Bachelor’s degree in life science and clinical laboratory experience; ASCP registry or equivalent.
- Experience working with and maintaining standard molecular laboratory equipment.
- Experience with standard molecular processing techniques.
- Good hand-eye coordination.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Maintain complete and organized records.
- Exceptional time management skills and the ability to multitask, troubleshoot and complete tasks independently.
The hiring range for this position is $17.58 - $21.98 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and extreme temperature (liquid nitrogen, dry ice) hazards. The individual must be able to wear personal protective equipment (lab coat, gloves, eye protection).
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Technician - Siteman Cancer Center - 47512
Job ID: 47512
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time