Washington University of St. Louis Environmental Health & Safety Professional ll - Biological Safety - 50096 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S), Division of Biological Safety at Washington University in St. Louis (WU). This position is located on the Medical School Campus.
This position reports to the Associate Biological Safety Officer in the Environmental Health & Safety Department assisting in providing a safe work environment, fostering a safety culture among University Staff, helps to maintain the institution's compliance with federal, state and local environmental and safety regulations and is responsible for making decisions that affect other's safety and well-being.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts annual safety and compliance audits of clinics (on-site and off-site) in assigned areas with focus on higher-risk areas, maintains clinic inspection data in EH&S database, follows up with audits as necessary to verify corrective actions are conducted, provides technical guidance to clinic staff on personal protective equipment selection and selection and use of containment equipment when moving or closing out clinics.
- Supports the IBC protocol review process by assisting with preliminary reviews, drafting communications, performing targeted inspections and assisting with development and delivery of annual clinic safety training.
- Assists with the development and annual update of EH&S clinic policies.
- Serves as the WU EH&S liaison to Infection Prevention and other committees with joint oversight of WU clinics.
- Serves as a member of the WU Hazardous Materials Spill Response Team (HAZWOPER) and perform other duties as assigned.
- Works closely with key personnel, including the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Environmental Health & Safety and EH&S staff, the Biological Safety and Chemical Safety professionals, Department of Administrators, faculty and staff and key University administration personnel including, but not limited to Information Systems, Faculty Practice Plan, Employee & Student Health, General Counsel's office, Facilities staff, will serve as the dedicated point person on all clinical safety issues and have a large influence on how the department is perceived.
- Potentially have contact with various regulatory agencies, e.g. the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Health, the Joint Commission, the DOT/IATA/FAA and also serves as an EH&S liaison to several hospital safety committees.
Bachelor's degree in health sciences, basic sciences or a related field with two years of an advanced degree or certification, OR a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field or equivalent with four years of an advanced degree or certification.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification and research laboratory or clinic experience.
- Oral and written (business and technical) communication skills.
- Ability to make sound judgments that impact safety and compliance, public speaking and facility with Microsoft Office applications.
- Physically able to wear personal protective equipment and lift and move while wearing self-contained breathing apparatus and fully encapsulating suits.
The hiring range for this position is $51,293 - $54,000 annually and is commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
- Potential exposure to chemicals, radioactive materials and potentially infectious materials in clinics, clinic laboratories and research laboratories environment.
- Training and personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided for work in those environments.
- Will need to carry an on-call (24/7) phone for spill response once a quarter.
- Need to wear personal protective equipment during inspections and spill remediation.
- Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds or less.
- Use of specialized equipment (mercury vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), air monitoring equipment, etc.).
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Environmental Health & Safety Professional ll - Biological Safety - 50096
Job ID: 50096
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time