Washington University of St. Louis Genetics in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Genetics. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The lab studies the role of cilia and basal bodies using genetics, cell biology, and biochemistry. Cilia are hair-like projections that can be motile or sensory. Motile cilia are required for moving fluids and cells. In this project, we are setting up robots to begin to look at synthetic interactions among genes identified in human patients with immotile cilia or patients with microcephaly. Position assists with the technical aspects of studies and experiments including documentation and preparation of materials.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays including collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research.
- Prepares tissue cultures, reagents, probe tests, etc.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
Bachelor’s degree and up to 1 year of experience in a laboratory setting or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 4 years required.
- Qualified candidates should have knowledge of genetics, microbiology, and molecular biology.
- Knowledge of microscopy and biochemical techniques would be useful.
- Experience with the following techniques are preferred:
- Sterile microbiological technique skills
- DNA and RNA isolation
- Protein isolation
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
The hiring range for this position is $13.79 - $18.62 per hour.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Genetics - 39995
Job ID: 39995
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time