Washington University of St. Louis Greenhouse Assistant (Part-Time) - Biology - School of Arts & Sciences - 44571 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is part-time and works approximately 20 hours per week including 1 weekend day.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Biology in the School of Arts & Sciences. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
Assist in plant maintenance in the Biology Greenhouse, growth chambers facility, the Eisendrath garden, and interior landscape within the Biology department on the Danforth Campus.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Re-pot, water, fertilize, relocate plants in the greenhouses, garden, and growth chambers.
- Assist in maintenance of plant growth facilities and infrastructure, such as cleaning, washing reusable containers, and moving supplies to needed areas. Provide assistance and/or guidance to growers as appropriate.
- Monitor room temperatures and growing conditions while doing the work and call for assistance when needed.
- Advice faculty and students in determining proper protocol for plant care.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Associate's degree in horticulture and one year’s experience working in a greenhouse or equivalent work experience and some horticulture education for mulitple years. Demonstrated understanding of plant care including watering, fertilization, and pest identification.
- Ability to fulfill physical requirements of the job, including lifting/moving 45 lb. bags of soil, moving loads of trays and pots, dragging hoses, and being on one’s feet for hours. Able to work 20 hours a week on a regular schedule that includes a weekend day, and some holiday work. Dependability is a must for the well being of the plants. Must be able to work independently and problem solve, especially on weekend, and exercise good judgment in determining appropriate amounts of water to apply to match the needs of different plants and growing conditions. Able to follow and implement directions.
- Must be able to recognize signs of pest infestation or watering issues and equipment problems, and modify treatment accordingly and seek input from the Greenhouse supervisor in a timely manner. Failure to do so can result in destruction of long term research project, jeopardize careers, and waste scarce resources.
Associate's degree in horticulture and one year’s experience working in a greenhouse.
The hiring range for this position is $13.23 - $16.53 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for part-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7
Applicant Special Instructions
Please note the following conditions of the work environment:
Typical greenhouse Applied(20)and growth chamber conditions—dirt, dust, fertilizers, chemicals, stooping and bending, standing and walking on hard and slippery surfaces, frequent lifting of 45 lb bags of soil, coping with heat and humidity indoors and outdoors.
Standard work schedule will include weekend time and some holidays.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Greenhouse Assistant (Part-Time) - Biology - School of Arts & Sciences - 44571
Job ID: 44571
Location: School of Arts & Sciences
Full/Part Time: Part-Time