Washington University of St. Louis Laboratory Animal Technician I - Comparative Medicine - 47515 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Working on a rotating weekend and holiday schedule is required.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Comparative Medicine. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
Provide and document care and husbandry for rodent animal species in accordance with departmental SOPs, regulations and guidelines of the Animal Welfare Act and the Public Health Service to assure a quality animal care program that supports the research and teaching at Washington University.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide and document daily husbandry care to rodents in the vivarium to include, the provision of feed, water, clean cages, and enrichment.
- Sanitize and maintain rodent colony rooms to include, sweeping and mopping of animal quarters, rotating animal cages, large equipment and room supplies for cleaning according to schedule, and disinfecting all areas in a room.
- Monitor behaviors, illness or death in animals and report to the supervisor, facility manager or DCM veterinarian in a timely fashion.
- Keep records of daily animal census and sanitation of animal room.
- Perform additional duties as required by the supervisor, manager and department.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Obtain Purina certification within six months.
- Obtain AALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level (ALAT) within two years.
- Ability to comprehend written and spoken English terms used in a biomedical research environment.
- Conscientious attitude and concern for quality.
- Ability to follow Standard Operation Procedures.
The hiring range for this position is $12.82 - $15.20 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
Must be able to lift 50 pounds and pass a pre-employment physical exam.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Laboratory Animal Technician I - Comparative Medicine - 47515
Job ID: 47515
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time