Washington University of St. Louis McKelvey Assistant Shop Supervisor/Machinist - Engineering Machine Shop - 46595 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Engineering Machine Shop. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the McKelveey School of Engineering.
The Machine Shop Assistant Supervisor will help in all day to day activities of the Engineering Machine Shops. This will include, but not be limited to teaching shop classes, assisting students with extra-curricular projects and creative activities in the shop, maintaining shop equipment, maintaining inventories of materials and supplies needed for operation of the shop, and other tasks delegated by the Shop Manager.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the maintenance of all shop equipment. Machines and equipment are expected to be maintained, serviced, and repaired as required to ensure safe and efficient use. Contact appropriate repair technicians and interact with them when repairs are necessary from non-university staff. Be responsible for the management of hand tools and miscellaneous parts so that they are organized, in stock, and available for academic classes and creative activities undertaken by the students. Direct student workers assigned to help in organizing materials and in keeping the lab clean and organized.
- Assist in teaching various shop classes offered by the School. Teaching responsibilities include, but are not limited to, how to safely operate pieces of equipment normally found in machine shops of educational institutions. Items range from drill presses and vertical band saws to CNC lathes and mills among many others. Many of the students will be unaccustomed and unfamiliar to working in a machine shop, so it’s paramount that instructions be given in a clear, organized, and patient manner while emphasizing safe behavior from all occupants in the shop. Address and troubleshoot problems that might arise on the CNC Milling Machines, CNC Lathes, and CAD/CAM software.
- Act as a resource for faculty, researchers, and students for all issues pertaining to activities undertaken in the Engineering Machine Shops. This would include explaining fabrication techniques, proper operation of shop tools and equipment, enforcing safety policies, and other related topics.
- Keep informed and educated of the latest trends in machining and the latest developments in state of the art equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Certificate or Associates Degree from Technical College in Machine Shop related Curriculum or minimum 3 years’ experience as a Machinist.
- Familiar in maintaining equipment and tools in excellent condition.
- Proven history of maintaining a safe work environment and promoting an awareness of safety among the machine shop users.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong presentation and teaching skills.
- Physically able to handle heavy pieces of equipment and materials.
- Working knowledge of standard computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Working knowledge of Solid Works.
- Extensive knowledge of machine shop equipment, hardware and their use.
- Proficient in the use of milling machines, lathe, drill press, belt sander, band saw, grinder, bench grinder, and hand tools.
- Processes the skills to read and understand blueprints, sketches, and technical writings.
- Possess high level proficiency in the use of CNC Milling Machines, CNC Lathe and CadCam Software.
- Ability to trouble shoot problems that arise on manual or CNC machines and with the CadCam program.
- Experience in mig and tig welding.
- Working knowledge of ProtoTrak controls.
The hiring range for this position is $19.18 - $24.47 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
- Position requires exposure to moving machinery, occasional lifting <25 lbs.
- Using tools requiring high dexterity.
- Ability to move to on and off-campus locations.
- Also requires bending, crouching, stooping, walking, or standing and use of simple hand tools.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: McKelvey Assistant Shop Supervisor/Machinist - Engineering Machine Shop - 46595
Job ID: 46595
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time