Washington University of St. Louis Neuroscience in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neuroscience on the Medical School Campus.
Dr. Carlos Ponce's laboratory is seeking a technician who will assist with the technical aspects of studies and experiments in a neurophysiology lab that works with large research animals.
For more information, visit https://sites.wustl.edu/poncelab/.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays including collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Assists with behavioral assays that include daily training/experimental sessions that typically last 2-4 hours and requires use of computer software (both on UNIX and Windows Platforms). Computer programming skills are not necessary.
- Performs routine care of the animals. This includes daily observation, water/food/behavior record keeping, and other tasks. Animal health records must be maintained in accordance with USDA guidelines.
- Assists with surgical procedures including pre-procedure preparation, assistance of staff with procedures, and proper cleaning and maintenance of equipment.
- Assists with general lab organization. Keeping laboratory stocked with necessary supplies, maintaining records of equipment and supply ordering, organizing animal records, making solutions for sterilization, and complying with all regulations for the storage of laboratory chemicals and hazardous waste materials. This function also involves occasional cleaning of lab workspace.
Bachelor’s degree and up to 1 year of experience in a laboratory setting or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 4 years required.
- Must be highly conscientious and professional: animal care is paramount in the laboratory.
- Must be detail oriented for both data collection and animal care.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
- Works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards.
- Must be physically able to wear protective equipment.
- Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Neuroscience - 41657
Job ID: 41657
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time