Bartlett & West, Inc Project Engineer in St Louis, Missouri
This entry-level position will assist in designing civil engineering projects including focus areas of public works, regional water systems, energy, land development, transportation and/or railroad projects. The position includes training under a Registered Professional Engineer to increase functional and technical knowledge and skills.
This position has a focus in transportation projects. Project work will include: roads, highways, interchanges, stormwater conveyance and associated work.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Develops plans and specifications for state and municipal transportation projects.
- Will focus on roadway, drainage, and traffic signal design work.
- Performs traffic analysis/traffic studies as needed.
- May assist with proposal preparations and fee development.
- Will act as part of a team of professionals headed by a Project Manager.
- Although expected to work independently on most assignments, this position must be able to interact well with other team members and the manager relative to assigned aspects of the project.
- Assists with preparation on engineering analysis, designs and calculations relative to the project assigned. Assists in writing technical engineering and design reports.
- Provides contract administration, construction submittal reviews, Requests for Information (RFI), Engineer’s Supplemental Instruction (ESI), pay estimates/change orders, and other related activities. Attends industry events and becomes involved in the community.
- Ability to work with conventional engineering practice including a variety of complex features like conflicting design requirements, suitability of conventional materials and difficult coordination requirements.
- May perform quality assurance/quality control procedures in the field including field observation and materials testing.
- Utilizes Microstation and Geopak or AutoCAD and Civil 3D to design and analyze roadway elements.
- Writes technical reports and conducts conceptual design studies.
- Manages engineering work and interfaces with other disciplines as needed.
- Typically handles multiple projects for multiple clients simultaneously.
- Visits clients and job sites as needed to support project(s) and business development needs.
- Serves as consultant on transportation projects during construction phase.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent listening and reading skills, including proofreading
- Must be flexible to changes in work assignments on short notice and/or daily as changes occur in project needs
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Knowledge of highway design standards, DOT design policies and plan preparation criteria
- Practical Knowledge in use of Highway Capacity Manual, Roadside Design Guide, MUTCD, and AASHTO Standards
- Accountability in work performance
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to achieve business results
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain amount of detail
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proficiency in Microstation, Geopak/Inroads, AutoCAD, Civil 3D
- Proficiency in HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS or other stormwater design/analysis programs preferred
- Ability to embrace new technology and processes including learning other software programs as needed (Adobe, Bluebeam, Deltek Vision accounting and project planning software, Client Relationship Management software, etc.)
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership
- Good time management skills with ability to handle complex deadline driven workload
- Ability to work independently and within a team successfully
Education:* * Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related engineering field required.
0-5+ years engineering experience in transportation. Knowledge/experience of Microstation, Geopak/Inroads, AutoCAD/Civil 3D strongly preferred. E.I.T. or E.I. preferred.
Must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state on occasion, which usually would consist of visiting other office locations, project sites, attending seminars or business meetings. Minimum travel is 10% of the time depending on projects. Certain positions will require more travel. Travel expectations will be communicated through the employee-owner’s manager, and for newly open positions, travel expectations will be reflected in the job posting announcement. Driver’s license with clean driving record required.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job ID: 2018-1472
FLSA Status: Exempt
Service Group: DOS - Transportation
# of Openings: 1