Washington University of St. Louis Research Assistant - Pathology & Immunology - Anatomic & Molecular Pathology - 50041 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pathology and Immunology, Division of Anatomic & Molecular Pathology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This laboratory is focused on the development and implementation of molecular diagnostic assays for cancer and understanding the biology of MDS. This position may include performing molecular diagnostic assays in the CLIA-regulated environment, as well as education of trainees.
This position assists with research studies, experiments, preparation of material and documentation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts research experiments and assays.
- Extracts DNA/RNA from various sources. Determines quality and quantity of DNA/RNA.
- Makes sequencing libraries using various methods, including capture-based enrichment, targeted UMI-based methods, RNAseq, CHIPseq, methylation sequencing, and WGS.
- Works with members of the CLIA-regulated clinical laboratory to write and implement molecular testing SOPs. Works with members of other department and other institutions to coordinate research projects.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research. Manages and organizes sample inventory in laboratory.
- Places orders for reagents and laboratory supplies.
- Maintains cell lines and does basic tissue culture experiments.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Coordinates research projects with other institutions and investigators.
- Participates in developing hypotheses to be tested and ways of testing it.
- Assists with general supply/equipment orders, lab maintenance and cleaning.
Equivalent of a bachelor’s degree with two to three years of experience in laboratory operations.
- Experience in laboratory operations.
- Experience with the generation of sequencing libraries, including RNAseq, UMI-based preps, and WGS.
- Strong organization skills and the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to implement general laboratory procedures, conduct research, and record findings, with focus on pursuit of advanced education in field.
The hiring range for this position is $15.46 - $20.88 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Assistant - Pathology & Immunology - Anatomic & Molecular Pathology - 50041
Job ID: 50041
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time