Washington University of St. Louis Research Specialist - Infectious Diseases - 49611 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally Monday to Friday
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position provides critically complex research and experimentation for PI working on virus-host interactions and the role of the microbiome using tissue culture and small animal models to allow the advancement of scientific analysis and discovery. Serves as a subject matter expert able to offer support, training and guidance relative to the discipline/area.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs complex analyses, experiments and project work under general direction of the PI. Serves as representative for PI and ensures procedures and protocols are adhered to consistently and effectively meet department’s standard. Exhibits a high degree of independent problem solving and ability to conduct research on assigned projects. May serve in lead role, as needed.
- Plans, develops, organizes and formalizes research results and findings. May develop for presentation and/or present on behalf of department. Conducts literature searches related to research projects. Writes/co-authors publications and/or papers supporting research findings in logical and sometimes multiple formats tailored to audiences. May participate in work related to grants.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulty with equipment or test subjects. Suggests technical/ procedural improvements in various methods. May develop and optimize experimental procedures and protocols. Provide high level troubleshooting to advance process or lab procedures.
- Serves as department’s research representative and may participate in various related meetings and events. Gathers/delivers data/information and serves as subject matter expert. Performs statistical data analysis, as needed. Presents research information to internal and/or external audiences.
- Organizes and maintains required documentation on lab and/or specimen conditions, and can develop and summarize information into usable formats or presentations on behalf of the department. May communicate findings to various users or external audiences.
- Performs all related work in accordance with established protocols and safety/compliance requirements.
- May explain methods, lead or train other personnel or observers.
Master’s degree in a related field with seven years of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience equaling at least ten years.
- Experience with small animal models.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to present on various research topics to internal or external audiences.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records and reports.
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter.
- Strong critical thinking and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of computer software & lab equipment, including statistical software, spreadsheets, & lab management systems.
- Ability to work in lab research environment.
The hiring range for this position is $40,706 - $54,933 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Specialist - Infectious Diseases - 49611
Job ID: 49611
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time