Washington University of St. Louis Research Specialist - Neurology - 49147 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neurology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Dr. Randall Bateman’s lab investigates the causes, and future diagnosis and treatments of Alzheimer’s disease utilizing a wide variety of assays and techniques from basic applications, such as quantitative measurement of stable-isotope labeled peptides to clinical translational studies in diagnostic and therapeutic biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease. This position provides critically complex research and experimentation for the lab allowing the advancement of scientific analysis and discovery.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs complex analyses, experiments and project work under general direction of the PI. Serves as a representative for the PI and ensures procedures and protocols are adhered to consistently and effectively meet department’s standard. Exhibits a high degree of independent problem solving and ability to conduct research on assigned projects. May serve in lead role, as needed.
- Provides high-level troubleshooting for protein purification/ immunoprecipitation protocols to optimize yield, purity, and throughput. Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment or test subjects. Suggests and implements technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Plans, develops, organizes and formalizes research results and findings. Conducts literature searches related to research projects. Writes/co-authors publications and/or papers supporting research findings. May assist with writing and submitting grants.
- Performs statistical data analysis, as needed. Presents research information to internal and/or external audiences.
- Organizes and maintains required documentation on lab and/or specimen conditions, and can develop and summarize information into usable formats or presentations on behalf of the lab. May communicate findings to various users or external audiences.
- Performs all related work in accordance with established protocols and safety/compliance requirements.
- May explain methods, lead or train other personnel or observers.
Master’s degree in a related field with seven years of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience equaling at least ten years.
- At least two years of experience in mass spectrometry-based applications.
- Experience with automated benchwork.
- Experience with analytical chemistry or GLP.
- Analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data and to communicate data in a clear, concise manner.
- High precision and tight Quality Control of all bench experiments.
- Excellent scientific writing and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Able to work independently yet collaboratively in a team environment.
- Computer literacy, including the ability to use a variety of software packages to analyze data.
The hiring range for this position is $40,706 - $54,933 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Specialist - Neurology - 49147
Job ID: 49147
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time