Washington University of St. Louis Research/Lab Technician I - Biomedical Engineering - 47607 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the School of Engineering.
Primary responsibilities are to assist with the daily operation of a biomedical research laboratory. Responsible for assisting with laboratory duties, such as operating and maintaining lab equipment, performing molecular biology experiments, culturing cells, maintaining accurate laboratory records, performing oocyte harvest surgery, preparing solutions/reagents, and other duties as required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research assistance:
- Learn and perform molecular biology experiments, including site-specific mutagenesis and in vitro transcription.
- Prepare reagents and equipment for daily use.
- Prepare culture media.
- Monitor status of lab stock reagents and chemicals.
- Lab equipment and facilities:
- Monitor tissue culture incubators and help maintain sterile working conditions within the tissue culture room.
- Waste management: Monitor and foster proper handling of hazardous, sharps, and biohazard waste.
- Lab safety:
- Maintain lab safety notebook.
- Ensure that lab safety protocols are being followed at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification and an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years in a related field; OR a bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, engineering or other STEM field.
- Experience in a laboratory setting.
- Strong interest in scientific research
- Organizational: Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Work ethic: Ability to self-motivate and work efficiently, accurately, and independently
- Interpersonal: Ability to work in a multi-cultural team with different personalities.
- Competence: Willing and able to learn new techniques as required.
The hiring range for this position is $13.80 - $15.97 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research/Lab Technician I - Biomedical Engineering - 47607
Job ID: 47607
Location: School of Engineering
Full/Part Time: Full-Time