Energizer Holdings, Inc. Sr. Packaging Engineer in St. Louis, Missouri
This is Energizer
We're leading the charge, connecting our brands, our people and the products we offer the world. Together, we're creating a game plan for the future – one that defines where and how we'll play, and what it takes to win.
Our 4,300 colleagues hail from all backgrounds, nationalities and walks of life, but our shared values and passion for winning make us one team. Whatever your specialty, you'll find that excelling at Energizer Holdings provides opportunities to grow in ways you never expected.
Energizer is seeking to hire a Sr. Packaging Engineer for our St. Louis, Missouri location. In this position under the direction of the Global Packaging Shared Services Manager, you will work with minimal supervision to develop packaging for various products included in assigned projects. You will also serve as a packaging developer in support of innovation, cost savings and business continuity projects. In this position you will serve as a contributing member of cross functional business teams. You will support concept, development, manufacturability, and system setup of packaged products purchased from third party suppliers globally. You will have a major role in managing and monitoring progress against timelines and due dates as well as provide guidance and coaching to other colleagues assigned to the project.
• Manage assigned Package Development projects, working with Brand and project teams, to meet category objectives and project ship dates.
• Hold discussions during packaging team meetings; communicate technical issues and details to the project team and management.
• Communicate and follow up with third party suppliers to meet product requirements including timing, design, and quality.
• Provide packaging options. Develop, engineer and test packaging components and modify as necessary to meet: customer requirements, functional parameters, cost targets, manufacturing and shipping requirements.
• Provide technical input to package design process and assure package designed for manufacturing acceptability.
• Execute new package designs and perform package component testing and qualification, working with suppliers, from engineering prints to making models/prototypes, through to unit and production tooling.
• Work closely with third party product suppliers to guide them to meet packaging requirements including reviewing drawings, samples, specifications, and general artwork.
• Work effectively with Package Shared Services resources (Specialist and Technicians) to assure creation of timely functional specifications.
• Develop strong relationships and communicate effectively to manage projects with Marketing, Procurement, Logistics, Operations and Suppliers.
• Keep abreast of developments across appropriate packaging and manufacturing technologies.
• Must be able to effectively organize and manage workflow of multiple projects and priorities in a dynamic environment.
• Must be able to demonstrate a strong understanding of project management to realize the order, importance, and impact of appropriate project activities and maintain Packaging commitments to project scheduling.
• Must be able to communicate issues effectively to technical and non-technical personnel. (Marketing, Finance, Logistics, and Operations).
• Must have a strong background of implementing cost savings reductions (material & process).
• Must be able to provide support to the overall cross functional project team for new product launches.
• Project Management Skills
o Must have ability to prioritize and organize workload on multiple projects of medium-to-high complexity.
o Must have ability to develop and implement schedules and ensure the engineering procedures are followed.
o Must have the ability to manage multiple assigned projects, monitoring the status of all elements affecting the outcome of the project, ensuring project deliverables are met.
o Must have the ability to mentor other packaging team members.
o Must have the ability to clearly communicate technical and non-technical information via verbal presentation and in writing with management, team members and support personnel.
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor's Degree in Packaging, Mechanical, Industrial or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution
• 3+ years of project management experience
• 5+ years of package development experience, ideally with consumer products companies
• Knowledge of packaging components and properties such as; films (thermoforming), paperboard (cards, folding cartons), corrugated materials
• Experience dealing with third party suppliers
• Experience with performing or reviewing standard test methods, such as ASTM protocols
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Master's Degree
• 2-D and 3-D drafting experience (AutoCAD and Solidworks)
• Design Software (ArtiosCAD)
• Palletization software (TOPS)
Working Relationships & Environment
• Position will report through the Global Packaging Shared Services group.
• Regular duties and project work will include interaction with various functional departments (Such as Procurement, Logistics, Marketing, and Engineering), and material suppliers.
• Extensive communication with third party suppliers where English is not the primary language
• Must be capable of quickly establishing relationships both internally and externally.
• Must be a highly credible individual.
• Must exhibit a true sense of urgency in responding to customers.
• Collaboration with counterparts (Packaging Engineers, Specialists and Technicians) is critical.
• Assists in the development and training of other packaging team members.
• Excellent organizational, prioritizing and follow up skills.
• Ability to think and act independently and make sound decisions.
• Good problem-solving skills.
• Intermittent domestic and international travel will be required. (Likely less than 5% of time.)
• Work schedule may require flexibility due to working with global teams and all global time zones.
• St. Louis Headquarters is an office setting but visiting plant, warehouses, and third party manufacturing facilities will occur.
An Offer to Grow On
Energizer offers a competitive compensation package which includes full medical and retirement savings coverage, paid vacation and holidays. Energizer is an equal opportunity employer, and we prohibit discrimination based on age, color, disability, marital or parental status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Follow our Linked In company page to see where we're going : www.linkedin.com/company-beta/163631