Washington University of St. Louis Staff Scientist (Oncology) - Pediatrics Infectious Diseases - 46837 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pediatrics Infectious Diseases. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The position entails conducting research in a cancer biology laboratory. The staff scientist will assist in developing and conducting research projects, including experimental design, data analysis and documentation of experimental results.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following instructions and discussions with principal investigator, designs research protocols, including developing procedures for the collection, verification and management of data.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performs statistical analysis of data collected, generates data figures, and writes interpretative reports. Verifies the correctness of the data submitted and makes recommendations for further experimental work based on these analyses.
- Prepares and submits abstracts and/or papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment, reagents, or experimental techniques. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Maintains knowledge of relevant literature related to research project.
- Acts as a senior colleague to less experienced lab members including technicians, graduate and undergraduate students. Supervisory/mentorship roles may include teaching laboratory assays, assisting with data interpretation, troubleshooting experimental protocols, and aiding in scientific writing.
- Performs small animal procedures.
Master’s degree with 4 years of experience in research lab operations or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 9 years required.
- Experience working with research animals is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to implement general laboratory procedures, conduct research, and interpret data.
- Superior organizational and time management skills and be able to work efficiently and independently.
- Ability to follow research protocols in detail is essential.
- Analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze data and to communicate results in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally with supervisor and other laboratory members.
- Computer literacy including the ability to use a variety of software packages to analyze data.
The hiring range for this position is $46,779 - $63,170 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist (Oncology) - Pediatrics Infectious Diseases - 46837
Job ID: 46837
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time