Washington University of St. Louis Veterinary Technician II - Comparative Medicine - 50315 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Rotational work on weekends and holidays is required.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Division of Comparative Medicine. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
Conducts daily rounds and monitors the health of research rodents. Documents and communicates findings about research rodent health. Collects biological samples from animals and administers treatments under the supervision of veterinary staff. Performs weekend rounds to triage health issues in multiple species. Conducts work according to departmental SOPs, IACUC policies, and the regulations of the Public Health Service.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts daily rounds and examines, evaluates, treats, and documents health issues and their related service charges in research rodents.
- Collects samples or doses rodents to support investigator projects or the DCM rodent sentinel program.
- Prepares, maintains and cleans surgical suite/equipment in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Conducts rotational weekend rounds including triage of cases involving non-rodent species.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- One year of relevant experience.
- LVT/CVT or AALAS certification at the ALAT level.
- LAT certification required within two years.
- Ability to move and handle rodents.
- Proficiency at in vivo techniques, including animal restraint, blood collection, and dosing familiarity with husbandry care practices.
- Working knowledge of common health problems in laboratory rodents.
- Ability to comprehend written and spoken English terms used in a biomedical research environment.
- Ability to comprehend and follow SOPs and written instructions from veterinary, supervisory and research staff.
- Conscientious attitude and concern for quality and animal welfare.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and pass a pre-employment physical exam.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Veterinary Technician II - Comparative Medicine - 50315
Job ID: 50315
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time